5.18.2012

I Call A Do Over: Goodwill Dresser to TV Chest

I have these things called 'creative bones' and with no warning at all, I get struck with intense urges and needs to go thrifting and/or makeover everything in my path. The process usually consists of DVR or Netflix, food sitting somewhere on the floor or couch, my drill, dremel, and paint.

Inside my living room.

When Mr. Superman deployed, I got more into DIY decor and refinishing furniture. My good friend Nikki, is a seriously incredible designer and she helped me a ton in teaching me techniques and easier ways to do things.

Now that I have a collection of stuff I've done and on my To Do List I figured why not share it with my  Lovelies? 

Photobucket

Back in January, Mr. Superman indulged me and came with me to Goodwill. Good thing it was a week before my 24th birthday because that was good leverage in convincing him to get me this dresser. It had been professionally painted a gross brown color but it was solid wood and in great condition. 


The cupboard doors had some very unfortunate flowers carved into them and I was so impatient I wanted to come up with a creative way to cover them up rather than going to the store to get wood filler.


I hated everything I tried. 
Everything.
I also repainted it about 6 times trying to get the perfect shade of mint green.


 So the chest under our TV went from THIS


to THIS


to THIS


 And finally to this swoon worthy beauty. 


The top middle drawer got removed, I built a platform, covered it in an antique coffee bean burlap sack, and the cable box and blu-ray player are now sittin' pretty.

The cupboard doors got a fabulous vintage wallpaper treatment with my go-to Minwax Provincial stain over the top and then the entire thing got a good distressing. 

I love that all of the other colors show through in the distressed parts. 


We'll keep her.


Linking up to these Lovelies:



The Shabby Nest

2 comments:

Amanda C. said...

I LOVE your end result!!! And I'm like you, I get that creative itch and I just HAVE to do something! Though, I've never made anything as beautiful as that!

Unknown said...

Your project turned out beautiful! I love to give thrifty finds a new life, your new follower, Tanya :)