8.09.2009

Cody's Letters July 24th-July 31st

Friday, July 24, 2009

"Not much to report today. I found out about Rachelle's health crisis last night so I've been real down and out today. My mind's been elsewhere today. So today we practiced drill in the morning and had a career appointment in the afternoon. Just more paperwork stuff. Other than that its been a slow day."

Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Again not much to report. I did have the opportunity to talk to my amazing wife and find out she's okay. I know she's not out of the woods yet, but it was a load off of my shoulders. Other than that we practiced drill in the heat for 4 hours straight. Needless to say, I'm drained."

Sunday, July 26, 2009

So today again started with 90 minutes of drill but we did pretty good. I enjoyed my 3 hours of quiet time while most of the flight was at church. Then at Sacrament we got to listen to the High Priest group leader speak which was wonderful. We just got back from dinner so now I am full and content."

Monday, July 27, 2009

"So we hit some big milestones today. We got our Blues AND we got our name tags sewn onto our ABU's! I feel all grown up now. It's like we're the upperclassmen at BMT. We had to spend the whole day at clothing issue though but it's all good because all of our Blues are custom tailored. So it was a lot of sitting around but we got a lot out of it."

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

"So today started out kind of rough. I felt really sick this morning so I went to the dispensary and found out that I was one degree away from going to the fever wing. Definitely not good news. But I got a bunch of medicine and I've been feeling better all day. Today all we had was classes. Five of them to be exact. Our instructor was really cool and upbeat and super funny. He made it easy to stay awake even though most of the classes were super boring."

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Holy cow today has pooped me out. We got to go to the obstacle course this morning which was fun but kicked everyone's butt. It was a 1.5 mile course and took about an hour to complete. Oh, did I mention it was a 3 mile march there and back and we had to carry a 30 lb pack? But I survived and made it through every obstacle all before 11 AM. After lunch we had a weapons evaluation which we got perfect as a flight. We had to breakdown and reassemble the M16 in 2 minutes and name all the pieces. AND we had an open ranks inspection which means we lined up and a TI came through and checked for proper uniform, shaving, and asked questions about classes we've had. At least its over."

Thursday, July 30, 2009

"Well I've got nothing big to report today other than we did get haircuts finally. My hair had gotten longer here at BMT than it did in the civilian world. Not many people can say that. Also, they didn't cut it as short as I like today. Oh well. Our next cut in 7th week, we get to tell them what we want. Other than haircuts we just drilled and did laundry today."

Friday, July 31, 2009

"So today was a fun and interesting day except for about 30 minutes that sucked and 5 minutes that really really sucked. Today we had the gas chamber. We had to learn and practice how to use and wear our gas mask and all our protective gear. The protective suit is like wearing a snowsuit. pants jacket, over boots, gloves, and the hood pulled tight. All of this is over our full ABU uniform. Did I mention that it rained last night and was over 100 degrees today? Not fun. Then after we had put on and taken off our gear 3 times, they took 20 people at a time into the gas chamber. They filled it with tear gas, made us do jumping jacks, and then we took off our hoods. I could immediately feel a burn on my head and neck, especially where I had shaved. Then one by one we took off our mask, attempted to give a reporting statement and once given approval we walked SLOWLY over to the far side of the room and outside. Needless to say it was rough. Everything just burned horribly. I couldn't breathe or see. We had to walk around for 5 minutes to decontaminate. It took quite a while before my eyes stopped burning. It was fun but I wouldn't want to do it anytime soon. We spent the rest of the day learning about IED's and ho to spot them. We got to march in the wilderness here along a dirt road and try to find IED's and if we missed it, they would explode like a firework and give off smoke. They were tough to spot too. It really gives perspective on what's out there and what the troops deal with. so like I said, it was fun and interesting but also quite sobering."

Robby sent this to me yesterday and it put me in the BEST mood ever! Isn't my man just so cute and scrawny?! This was long before I even knew him! I just had to share the love my lovelies.

2 comments:

Steven and Alexa said...

Haha! I love that pic. Those were fun times!

Mama Steele said...

I love all 3 of those knuckleheads!!! These were such fun times- thanks for sending it to me. I had to forward it to Matt & the girls too- we loved going to all the games! Missing you- thanks for posting Cody's letters!