2.23.2011

An Attitude of Success With Katie

Hey there Lovelies! I am missing from the bloggy world for a bit as I travel from Arizona back to Georgia and embark on an internetless journey of finding a house and turning it into a home before Mr. Superman arrives home. Until then, enjoy all of my Lovelies who will be entertaining you and be sure to show them a lot of love! Today, I have my fabulous sister-in-law Katie! She's uber smart and always goes after what she wants. She also has a foodsie blog where she showcases all of her awesome kitchen creations so go check her out!


“If you shoot for the stars and hit the moon, it's OK. But you've got to shoot for something. A lot of people don't even shoot.” -Confucius

Something in the last few months has truly plagued me. I am surrounded by rich teenagers who don’t pay attention in school and try and scrape their way through the class with extra credit and cheating. Quite frankly, it’ s sickening and annoying. And it has made me realize that I am part of a waning group of people. The people who work hard to be where they are. The people who climb the ladder step-by-step as opposed to those who expect to live off of taxpayer dollars or instantly get a promotion. Too many lack an attitude of success. So I’ve put together a couple of steps that I feel are important for achieving success.

Steps to Success

1. Want it

"Without a desire to succeed, there’ s no hope at all." "The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential… these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence." –Confucius 

Whether you want to score well on a test, lose ten pounds, be more outgoing… the point is that you want it. But wanting it is not always enough. You can want to get six-pack abs, but if you eat
junk food and watch TV, you’ re not going to get very far. If you want something badly enough, then you’ ll be willing to work hard to get it. Motivation is key.

2. Work for it

Of the three steps, I feel like this step is the most important of all. If you don’ t work for something, you don’ t value it as much. Desire is good, but if you’ re not willing to put in some effort to get it, then you’ ll never achieve success. For me, I’ve desperately wanted to lose some weight for years now. Wanted to lose weight… but doing nothing about it. But last summer, I started working out consistently. My desire to lose weight paired with my effort to lose weight was a winning combination. And it was just that. A combination. The best path to success pairs want with work. Without want, your success will not be satisfying.

Without work, your success might not happen at all. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” -Confucius

3. Enjoy it

You can’ t just work hard and not reap the benefits of that hard work. While the results from your success are good, if you’ re not happy with them, then it wasn’t really worth it. If you don’ t enjoy your success, however, it can also be a catalyst for you to work harder- work until you DO enjoy them, until you ARE happy with what you completed. I can guarantee that I’ m pretty happy with the thirty pounds I lost last summer, but since I’ m not completely happy, I’ m going to continue to work hard until I am. Though it’ s still a ways away, the idea of my future success will keep me going, and honestly? I can’ t wait.

I’m a student. I have a 3.9 GPA. I have full-ride scholarship offers and have been accepted into some of the best schools in the country. Why? Because I’ m willing to work hard. I have been raised in a family where they accepted nothing less than the best. And I feel that many today lack this particular attitude. Maybe if we had a few more of these kinds of people in the world, we’ d have a lot less wars and a lot less debt. But for now… we’ ll keep working hard to ensure America’ s future is a good one.

1 comment:

Mama Steele said...

Katie- you ROCK! I'm glad you've learned these lessons- haven't always been sure that you have- and I am proud of you!