5.31.2011

I Call A Do Over: Beach Wood Desk Edition

My 4 AM usually consists of DVR or Netflix, food sitting somewhere on the floor or couch, my drill, dremel, and paint.

Since Mr. Superman deployed, I got more into DIY decor and refinishing furniture. Nikki, is a seriously incredible designer that helped me a ton in teaching me techniques and easier ways to do things. 

Now that I have a collection of stuff I've done and on my To Do List I figured why not share it with my Lovelies? So most Tuesdays for me are going to consist of this new meme and this week starts the link up! If you have any projects you've done, post it with the I Call A Do Over picture and then come back to link up so I can come check it out.

Without further ado, we dive in!


I got this week's project while Mr. Superman was still deployed from V-Town's local (and only) Goodwill. The Goodwill here is very hit and miss on finding great items but I knew this one was perfect when I saw the shape, size, and price. I got it for $25 and except one tiny defect that you can't see, it was in perfect condition.

You all know by now that stained wood just really isn't my thing. I went very back and forth on what I wanted to do with it but as soon as I settled on exactly what I wanted for our office, I knew what treatment the desk was going to get. When we were in Panama City Beach, FL for our anniversary a couple years ago, I saw these awesome, shabby beach cottages everywhere. They were all unique but had this one beautiful thing in common. They were all made out of gorgeous, weathered white'ish gray beach wood. They had so much character but still had this softened feminine look. I loved them and always wanted to do something similar in furniture. Well, this desk had some great curves so it was a winner. 

I didn't sand or prep really at all (I never do) and just got down to work. After removing the hardware the drawers got two good coats of white paint as well as the entire desk except the top. The top was a bit more complicated. It had a thick hard top of acrylic gel and I had already tried to pry it up with no luck. I also knew that sanding the entire thing down would take literally hours. I ended up just hand sanding the top for a few minutes, just enough to scratch it up and give the paint something to grip on to. The paint covered most of the stained wood but I also left a little peaking through to give it that weathered look. After the paint was dry, I used a gray glaze all over it. Not gonna lie, it looked fabulous. The hardware got a few coats of gray spray paint and the gray glaze over that then got reattached. 

The finished product? Beautiful.
ignore the leopard print chair, its getting reupholstered

8 comments:

Mama Steele said...

THis turned out great! It doesn't even look like the same old dated desk we found! I wish I had your eye to see the possibilities in things. Great job!

erika said...

Girl! Please come decorate my entire house, lol!

Sherri Romney said...

You inspire me so much! I love all of your furniture re-do's! Now I want to find another project for me to do... :)

beka said...

you're awesome.
ohmy. it turned out gorgeous!!

Mel said...

Another one, well done! I don't think I'll have anything this week, but things could still change...

Unknown said...

Awesome! And I love the leopard print chair!!

Monica said...

I am in love! I absolutely love it! You are super crafty! I hope when I move I will redo things like this. I'll have to rack your brains for the ideas though. You and my twin cousins. Jealous I'm not so crafty.

Monica said...

I am in love! I absolutely love it! You are super crafty! I hope when I move I will redo things like this. I'll have to rack your brains for the ideas though. You and my twin cousins. Jealous I'm not so crafty.