8.13.2010

Lessons Learned

Happy Friday Lovelies!! Today I've got Mrs. Muffins sharing a fabulous (not really surprising since it IS Mrs. Muffins) post about what she's learned in the last five years of marriage. I know most of you other Millie's out there already know her, love her, and follow her but this is for all my Lovelies. Be sure to check her out and show your love!

"How much can be learned in five years of marriage? I like to think these early years are when all the kinks get worked out and someday it will just be eternal bliss. Since my husband and I are celebrating our five year anniversary this winter, I thought I would compile a list of things I’ve learned since becoming his bride.

* Say “I love you.”
We always make it a point to say “I love you” before we get off the phone, leave the house, or go to bed, no matter how angry or tired we are. It may seem morbid, but you never know if you’ll get to say it again. Sure, I know he loves me and he knows I love him but I’m not sure I could live with myself if there were any other words out of my mouth the last time I got to talk to him.
* If you really want to get closer, take a road trip.
Nothing brings two people closer than a day on the road and not just because of the confined quarters. Two tired people, one person navigating, the other driving… If you can both get out of the car at the end of the trip and be more happy than angry, you’ll know you’re meant to be together. You might want to try this before you get married though… and this test works with friends too, just sayin’.
* Choose your battles.
The toilet seat left up, the dishwasher loaded wrong… I plan on being married for the rest of my life. I don’t want to look back over fifty years or more of marriage and see a bunch of petty fights. That doesn’t mean it never happens but usually if I snap over something like that, there’s a bigger issue going on that needs addressed rather than the empty toilet paper roll, ya know?
* Don’t feel bad if you need a little space.
If you pick one person to be with forever and ever, shouldn’t you be able to spend every waking and sleeping minute together without wanting to spit in their coffee? (I swear I’ve never done that, by the way…) Well, sure, it’s fun at first but it’s human nature for us to have hobbies and interests outside of our spouses. You might just need to get out and go for a run in the morning. Maybe you need a girl’s night once a week, whatever it is, don’t feel bad about it. The happier you both are as individuals, the happier your marriage will be.
* Laugh together.
Not at each other… well, sometimes it’s okay to laugh at each other. Laughter is good for you both physically and mentally so it only makes sense that it’s an important part of a healthy marriage. Do things together that make you laugh like watching a funny movie or fake wrestling around. If you can laugh at the little things in life, the easier it will be to laugh when times get hard- when a good laugh is needed the most.
There’s so many more lessons to be learned but I think so far we’re doing alright. I can’t wait to see what my list will look like in five more years!"

10 comments:

Stephanie Hartman said...

Aw my hub and I have been together for 3 years and married for 1 and I totally agree about the road trip and the coffee lol that was funny. Great post girl.

Sarah said...

Oh, what a great post!! Joe and I have only been married for 2 years, but I completely agree with everything you've said!!! Especially picking your battles. That's a huge one. Our first road trip was on our honeymoon, (well the first one that lasted more than an hour) and we had the best time ever!! One of my favorite memories. =)

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! Great job Mrs. Muffins! Right after we got married we road-tripped (or rather moved) to North Carolina and we both survived so I guess that's a definite step in the right direction! Thanks again for posting!

Sespi said...

Great post! And I totally agree with the road trip comment. When Chris and I made it from California to Georgia and still liked each other at the end of our 2 week (we stopped to visit family and sight see) trip, we knew we were meant to be :) He proposed a week later.

Goodnight moon said...

I completely agree with all of the above! It is so important to "BE" in your marriage. Saying "I love you" even when your mad is something that I always do with my Fox too. I love my marriage, and it is easy for me because I married my best friend. I think alot of people now-a-days, just marry someone for the sake of marrying them.

Love this post!

Skinnie Piggie said...

This is so cute... we're coming up on our 1st anniversary... typical military style though he (probably) won't be here. It's nice to read your story though!

JG said...

All good advice!

erika said...

This is all great! I think choosing your battles might be one of the most important ones- it makes life so much easier to let little things go!

Unknown said...

Great post doll! I love it :) Thanks again!

Unknown said...

Great post!! These are all really great lessons! Thanks for sharing!